as i’ve said, one of the great things about summer is the abundance of fresh produce. this recipe makes good use of vine-ripened tomatoes, fragrant fresh basil, and an artisan bread for an easy and elegant appetizer.
a crusty baguette or other dense bread, sliced into appetizer-sized pieces
2 (or more!) large cloves garlic, cracked
Extra-virgin olive oil
3 small plum tomatoes, halved and seeded
20 fresh basil leaves, sliced into thin ribbons
1. grill or toast the bread. some like the bread to have a nice char, but crispy is the key.
2. rub the bread with the cracked garlic to infuse it with flavor
3. chop the seeded tomatoes and place into a medium bowl. i prefer them fairly finely chopped, but use your own judgment.
4. toss in the basil ribbons and loosely combine
5. drizzle with olive oil, spinkle with coarse salt, and mix gently until well coated
6. spoon on to toasted bread slices, serve and enjoy!